Thursday, September 20, 2012

Beethoven Piano Sonata Op. 2 No. 1 (Progress)



My Favourite Workspace Ever!


Although I initially had planned on re-learning Beethoven's "Pathetique" Sonata, 2nd Movement, this ended   up being much more difficult than I remember it being in the past. Many years ago I had taught myself this piece up to 80% completion, so it made no sense at all as to why I was struggling so much with getting this piece back into memory. After mentioning my confusion with difficulty learning this piece to my teacher, she made sense of my confusion and frustration and helped me understand why this was happening. Due to the fact that I was self-taught for many years, I ended up relying on my strengths to overcome my weaknesses...my strength is my ability to learn by hearing, however my weakness has always been reading sheet music. 



Over the past year that I've since begun taking lessons, my reading has improved considerably, but I was still not at the level to read "Pathetique" with ease. Although I've made progress and still was able to play some of this piece from memory, learning by reading the sheets only, proved to be beyond my current level of comfort. My teacher and I decided to put learning this piece off until I was able to read the sheets much better. I did not mind, because I was still learning a Beethoven Sonata...together, my teacher and I decided to begin working on Beethoven's Piano Sonata Op. 2 No. 1. In the first day, I had almost learned more than half of the first page, so I was extremely excited to continue working on this piece! ...and what better way for someone who wants to learn all of Beethoven's Sonata's in their lifetime, that to start with the very first one?!




I'm almost finished learning the full first page of sheets for this piece and I would just like to say, 'WOW'! This peace plays much differently than I had expected from just listening to it! It's very fun and exciting, so I can't wait to learn this Sonata and continue on to the next one!



I will continue posting updates as I progress through this piece.


No comments:

Post a Comment